As a Dentist in Tigard, Oregon, I recommend that all of my patients brush their teeth for a minimum of 2 minutes twice a day. I also recommend daily flossing and the use of a mouthwash. Not only are these hygiene habits essential to maintain good oral health they are also important to your overall health.
I have three children and one of their biggest complaints about brushing their teeth is how long it takes. I try my best to explain to them that in reality 2 minutes isn’t that long to brush their teeth and they aren’t really missing out on much. As I started to explain this to my 8 year old son he quickly shot back, “But Dad the Oregon Football team can score a touchdown in 2 minutes.” How could I argue with that because it is true. So I did a little research and came up with 10 things that will happen while you brush your teeth (for at least 2 minutes).
1. University of Oregon Football Team’s Offense will score a touchdown. Well it might not be exactly 2 minutes, but if you have ever watched an Oregon Ducks football game you will agree that they are in the end zone quite a bit. The Oregon Ducks are ranked #1 in total offense, points scored, and points per game. This is one of the most efficient offenses in College Football. If you need to brush your teeth during an Oregon Ducks football game you might want to wait until halftime or when the defense is on the field because you might miss a touchdown.
2. Nike will make $73,010. Nike, in my opinion, is the best sports apparel company in the world. They have risen to the top through hard work, innovation, and outstanding leaders. Nike now employs 48,000 people and has been in operation since 1978. So while you are brushing your teeth for that estimated 2 minutes, Nike will have made $73,010 which is almost half of the average American salary.
3. Lightening will strike the earth 720 times. Now these numbers vary greatly as I have seen some reports say that lightening can strike the Earth at 100 times per second which would be way more the estimated 720 times per 2 minutes. But we’ll say on average lightening strikes the earth 720 times in 2 minutes. This can be quite an electrifying experience while brushing your teeth.
4. There will be 10 Earthquakes. Over 20,000 earthquakes are recorded every year by the National Earthquake Information Center, but there are millions of small earthquakes that happen every year that aren’t recorded. Luckily most of these Earthquakes occur in areas not populated by humans under under the sea. Have you ever brushed your teeth during an earthquake?
5. 500 babies will be born in the United States. The United States alone reports over 4 million child births per year. There are over 32 million child birth in the world every year. This comes out to be on average 7 babies per second in the world. That is a lot of teeth to take care of, so while you are brushing your teeth think about all the new babies being born.
6. 408 emails will be sent. There are estimated 295 million emails sent each day and 2.8 emails sent every second by 1.9 billion email users! Interestingly almost 90% of these emails are spam or viruses. How many of you have sent an email on your mobile device while brushing your teeth? Now that is true multi-tasking.
7. Amazon will sell $166,000 in products. Amazon makes around 35 billion per year in sales that is $1,084 per second! Amazon was founded in 1994 and currently employs almost 35,000 people . Amazon.com remains the world’s largest online retailers, with one of the highest revenue of any company. If you have ever been on Amazon.com you can buy just about anything don’t forget to buy that Sonicare toothbrush so you can brush your teeth for 2 minutes while surfing Amazon.
8. 12,000 new videos are uploaded to YouTube. Over 4 billion videos are view on YouTube every day! That is over 3 billion hours of video watched per month. These are staggering statistics and I think we can all see why especially when you get stuck in the YouTube black hole (meaning you keep watching video after video that relates to your initial search). I myself have upload 2-3 videos on how to properly brush your teeth.
9. Google will have 4 million search queries. In 2012 Google reported almost 2 trillion searches or almost 5 billion searches per day. Google search is the most used search engine in the world. Google Search was originally developed by Larry Page and Sergey Brin in 1997. All statistics point to the fact that these search inquiries will only go up. Have you every looked for a dentist online? Search TenderCare Dental for your next dentist appointment.
10. 12 million Facebook views. As of 2013 Facebook as over 1.5 billion active users. Interestingly 8.7% of those users are considered fake. 4.5 billions likes are generated daily and on average a person spends 2o minutes on Facebook. Make sure you visit us at https://www.facebook.com/TenderCareDental for all the latest dental advice.
As you can see a lot can actually happen in 2 minutes which is how long you should brush your teeth. But what I can promise you is that your teeth and gums will thank you for taking the time to clean them. If it makes you feel better, if you brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes, you will brush a total of 1,460 minutes in a year which is approximately 24 hours or 1 day. However the average person will spend approximately 5,460 minutes per year on the toilet or 91 days. Brushing your teeth is worth all the things you might miss except for maybe an Oregon Ducks touchdown (just kidding).