We all know that an engaging smile can light up an entire room. And when it’s from someone you love, it can brighten your whole world. But this facial expression can also do a whole lot more for a person’s mood, physical health, and even life span than you may have thought. Here are 11 fascinating facts about smiles and the benefits they offer:
- “Smiling is contagious” isn’t just a phrase. Neurologically speaking, when someone smiles at you, there is often an irresistible urge to smile back (unless you make a conscious effort not to).
- It only takes 17 facial muscles to smile, whereas frowning takes 43!
- People can spot smiles from farther away and better than any other facial expression. Smiles can be recognized at up to 300 feet away – the length of a football field!
- Statistically speaking, people who smile more often usually live longer lives. In fact, you can add anywhere from 7-20 years to your life by sharing more smiles.
- Smiling lowers cortisol levels and increases endorphin levels in your body, boosting the immune system along with your mood.
- Smiling is a natural facial expression – so natural, in fact, that babies begin smiling while still in the womb!
- Smiling faces are considered more attractive. In a study by Orbit Complete, 69% of men found women who were smiling more attractive than those who wore makeup.
- Scientists have categorized smiles into 19 distinct categories, from polite smiles to synchronized smiles.
- Your heart will thank you for smiling more. Endorphins released from smiling can lower your blood pressure and heart rate.
- Wearing a smile while talking on the phone can actually improve your interpersonal relations by making the tone of your voice friendlier.
- On average, women smile 62 times per day, while men only average about 8 grins. Children, however, smile an average of 200 times per day!
Wearing a smile is important not only for the social role it serves, but also for your overall wellbeing. At TenderCare Dental, we understand that a healthy smile is key to happiness, comfort, and confidence. Set up an appointment with one of our friendly and knowledgeable team members and improve your pearly whites today! After a visit to TenderCare Dental, you’ll want to smile even more!